Route C1 runs alongside the estate of Villa Norina, its name derived from the affectionate nickname “Norina”, given to Countess Eleonora Bonaccorsi Guarini.
Around the halfway point, it passes close to the Santuario della Madonna del Lago (Madonna of the Lake Sanctuary - the Madonna’s feast day, also known as the Festa Dei Cedri-Cedar Festival is celebrated on the first Sunday in May). The first documented reference to the church dates from 1181, when it was granted to the monks of Camaldoli. It contains the icon of the Madonna found around 1200 in a local pond; the area was rich in springs until the 18th Century.
In particular the route passes through vineyards and cellars which can be visited, tasting the area’s excellent wines.